CTO Stream: How It Works
What is it?
Working with REBs and institutions across the province, CTO has built a system that allows one Research Ethics Board (REB) to oversee the ethical conduct of research occurring at multiple sites in Ontario. All reviews are conducted by a CTO Qualified REB, ensuring the highest ethical standards are maintained.
What does this mean?
- If you have a multi-site study, the ethics review will be done by one CTO Qualified REB.
- Sites will use the same ethics application forms and standardized consent form templates.
- Getting ethics approval for additional sites is quicker and more efficient.
How does it work?
One research team will submit the provincial, study-wide application on behalf of all sites in Ontario through CTO Stream (web-based ethics application). Once the Provincial application is approved by the designated REB (the REB of Record), sites submit their Centre application to obtain ethics approval to join the study.
- These abbreviated Centre applications are submitted through CTO Stream and reviewed by the same REB which approved the study provincially.
- Sites use the provincially approved consent templates to create their site-specific consent forms.
- Once provincially-approved, all non-consent participant materials (i.e. posters, wallet cards, diaries, etc.) are ready for use by all sites (allowing for administrative changes) minimizing the need for re-submission and re-review by the REB.
- Centre applications generally undergo delegated review.
Ongoing Ethics Review and Oversight
- During the course of the research, study-wide changes, amendments, documents etc. are submitted at the provincial level, and approved/acknowledged simultaneously for all sites.
- Sites are responsible for site-specific submissions pertaining to changes or events occurring at their own research site.
- All ethics submissions are made through CTO Stream and reviewed by the REB of Record.
- Single ethics expiry date for the study and all research sites in CTO Stream
For information on using CTO Stream to obtain ethics approval, read below.
To learn more about the CTO REB Qualification Program, click here.